Hi, I'm Martin. I work as a Futurist for Jisc in the UK, leading our Future and Emerging Technologies group. Here's my work home page. We run shared services for around 18 million people at UK universities and colleges, schools and the wider public sector - like the Janet network, JiscMail, eduroam and govroam
Right now I'm mainly looking at the potential for research and education of AR, VR, AI, ML and other Two Letter Acronyms. Read on to find out more, and do get in touch if you're interested in collaborating ;-)
Here's a selection of media clippings of articles I've written and interviews I've given. I'm always interested speaking to journalists about the work we do at Jisc - please do drop me a line directly or contact the Jisc press team
- The Guardian - Intelligent campuses: how universities are getting smart with technology
- Daily Telegraph - How do you fill the STEM skills gap? Go for creatives and career changers
- LSE Impact Blog - Say blockchain one more time! What is the real value of blockchain to higher education?
- House of Commons Education Select Committee - giving evidence to the Fourth Industrial Revolution enquiry (video)
- Education Technology - Government must ‘claw back’ political will for edtech investment
- UKSG Insights - Of modems and pixie dust – blockchain demystified
- BBC World Service - The Shadowy Website Running Political Ads on Facebook
- TES - Cheating 2.0: Beware the darker side of AI
- Nature - Could Bitcoin technology help science?
- The Big Issue: Welcome to the future: the tech we can expect in 2018
- Wired UK - Krack has broken Wi-Fi security... but it's not all doom and gloom
- Times Higher Education - Education technology: what does 2018 have in store?
- TES FE News - FE needs to foster and nurture the maker, hacker and tinkerer
- Education Technology - Essential edtech for 2017
- CIO UK - How to choose the right cloud services for your organisation
- Academy Today - Future classroom will be virtual and taught by robots
- University Business - What's next in wearable tech for research and education?
- EDUCAUSE Review - A Year of Living in the Future
- Class Central - What European Leaders in EdTech Think of the State of MOOCs
You'll find recordings of my talks and tech demos, unboxings and walk throughs on my YouTube channel
Read our latest horizon scanning reports on the Technology Foresight blog